Are there any alternatives to hormone therapy?
Yes, there are a number of alternatives.
1. Lifestyle: Osteoporosis can be prevented through a calcium-rich diet- the earlier you start the better! Healthy food, rich on vitamins, no fasting and enough calcium is essential.
2. Adding calcium to your to your diet: 1-2 times daily 500mg is the optimal doses in addition to your usual diet (-> perimenopausal women)
3. Substitution of vitamin D: 800-1000IE daily, especially during winter and for postmenopausal women)
4. Activity, sports and strength training: a minimum of twice a week you should do sports, especially training for the back muscles is important. Construction of the bones only works when you put weight on them.
5. Ideal weight: no underweight!
5. Sunshine! Spend some time outside: You should spend at least 30 minutes outside per day. Sunlight should shine on your face and forearms so that vitamin D can be produced in the skin.